Árbæjarsafn (Safn means museum in Icelandic) is an open air museum depicting the history of Reykjavik. The museum gives an insight into the conditions of life, work and activities of the inhabitants of Reykjavik, from the first settlement period to the present.


Most of the buildings were transferred to the museum from the center of Reykjavik. The museum exhibits more than 20 buildings, which together form the city's main square, village and farm. The oldest farm in Árbær was active and operated until the early 20th century and served as a popular inn for people traveling to and from Reykjavik.

In 1957, the place was deserted and abandoned, farm buildings stood remaining in poor condition until the city council agreed to make the place a public park and a historical museum.

When the Museum of Arbaiir was established, it was located in close proximity of Reykjavik's built-up areas, since then the city has significantly grown and spreads beyond the museum.

In 2006, Árbæjarsafn Museum won an award from Iceland's Ministry of Culture - Íslensku Safnaverðlaunin.

Opening Hours

Árbæjarsafn museum is open throughout the summer months of June 1 to 31 August between 10: 00-17: 00. During the winter season of September to May the museum offers guided tours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 13:00. Guided tours can also be booked at other times. For more information: Please visit the museum's website